Friday, February 6, 2009

It Takes Longer to Pass 8 Ounces of Water Through Your Sinus Cavity Than You'd Think

Yes it does. I would imagine that once you have the technique down, it goes a little quicker, but for my first effort with a neti pot, I was surprised at how long it took. If you're not familiar with the neti pot concept, you use a pot of some kind with a spout to pass warm salinated (is that a word?) water through one nostril, into your sinuses and back out the other nostril. Sounds appealing, eh?

I have a wicked head cold, and a friend and colleague recommended it to me. This wasn't the first time I'd heard of it, but the thought made me squeamish until today, when I was ready to try any non-chemical method of reducing the sinus pressure in my head. Did it work? Verdict is still out... I'll report back in a few days.

Randomly, as the saline was passing through my nose for the first time (and even for the second time), I was instantly transported to the beaches of St. Petersburg, Fl., where I spent time visiting my mother as a kid.

No comments: