Thursday, January 29, 2009

Passionately Curious

While looking for a long-lost poem that I had heard on the Writer's Almanac in 1999, I stumbled across a second grade teacher's blog called Passionately Curious (where she had, much to my delight, reprinted the poem - see below). I was so charmed by this view into her classroom, it made me long to be a second-grade teacher. The title of her blog was what caused me to click over to it in the first place; passionately curious is an apt description for so many of the naturalists and educators I know. I also discovered (in her bio) the source of the blog's title:

I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. - Albert Einstein

_______________________________________________________
Here's the poem I was searching for:


Something Told the Wild Geese

Something told the wild geese
It was time to go.
Though the fields lay golden
Something whispered - "Snow."
Leaves were green and stirring,
Berries, luster-glossed,
But beneath warm feathers
Something cautioned - "Frost."
All the sagging orchards
Steamed with amber spice,
But each wild breast stiffened
At remembered ice.
Something told the wild geese
It was time to fly -
Summer sun was on their wings,
Winter in their cry.

Rachel Field

No comments: