Friday, April 22, 2011

My Collection of Collections

Late last year on the Withywindle Blog, I posted about artist Lisa Congdon's project 'A Collection A Day', in which she posted to her blog 365 different collections that she had accumulated over time.  She has since come out with a book photographing her efforts, which you can find here.

Her project inspired me to take a closer look at my own collections, and to consider why I have them.  In the process some questions came up.  What constitutes a collection?  Is it number or intention? Is there a critical mass at which a collection is (or isn't)? Some of my collections happened accidentally, others are very small, but quite intentional.  And some of my accidental collections only started out that way, and later became intentional.  Also, when does something qualify as vintage?  What about antique (I have a good sense when it comes to cars and books, but not other objects)?  I've had to guess or use my best judgement on these questions, often reffering to the 'Collection A Day' project for reference.

So here's the collection list. Many - particularly the books and related ephemera - are part of larger collections (which I've noted). The few photos I have at the moment I've included below.

Book Collections:
   Stephen King & related
   Arkham House titles
   Natural History books
   Field Guides - vintage and modern
   Coyote ecology and mythology
   Signed/inscribed
   Antique
Postcards:
   Animals
   Promotional
   Artistic/unusual
   Vintage
Bookmarks
Admission tickets (concerts, plays, etc.)
Business cards
Stamps
Currency
   US Coins
   Foreign coins
   US & foreign bills
Maps
Buttons
Name badges
Shoulder bags
Beaded/charm bracelets
Horse figurines
Dragons
Tea canisters/tins
Pottery
   Bowls
   Cups/goblets
   Plates
   Teapots
Woven baskets
Signs (mostly photographed)
Tarot card decks
Musical instruments
Decks of playing cards
Non-board games
Dice
Tree, plant & leaf galls
Animal scat (preserved/dried - I know it's still gross. I'm a naturalist, I can't help it)
Bird feathers
Stones/rocks
Tumbled/polished gemstones
Landscape art (paintings/drawings/photography) by small/local artists
Wild bird photographs (taken by Obo)

Admission Tickets (partial collection)


Bookmarks (partial collection)
NYC Subway sign, part of sign collection


Another part of the sign collection


No comments: